Frequently Asked Questions & Spa Policies
What should I change about my skin care routine before my appointment?
Discontinue all retinol products at least 7-10 days before the service. Your skin cannot be sunburned at the time of your service. You cannot receive a microdermabrasion, HydraFacial, chemical peel or derma-planing if you are pregnant or if you have a cold sore break out.
When is the best time to book an appointment?
The earlier, the better! At day spas, peak hours are often late afternoons and weekends (especially Saturdays), so book as far in advance as possible in order to ensure getting a particular time, day, and therapist you want. It’s easiest to accommodate you during off-peak hours, which are often in the mornings and mid-week. If you will be attending the spa with a gift certificate, it is a good idea to mention it so that the spa can advise you of any policy that may affect its use. Scheduling future appointments is easily done at the end of your appointment.
Can I request a specific therapist?
If you have a preference, don’t hesitate to let your choice be known. If you have enjoyed the services of a particular therapist on a prior visit or you have been referred to a specific therapist, you may request that person. If you are unable to book an appointment with your usual therapist at your requested time, remember we are a cooperative, team environment; we encourage clients to experience services with all of our highly-qualified therapists.
Do I need to arrive early for my appointment?
Arrive on time or early. For your first appointment, you should arrive 15 minutes early to allow time for completing a questionnaire and consultation. After your first appointment, it is not necessary to arrive 15 minutes early, but you may still want to arrive 5-10 minutes early to relax before your appointment. If you are late, your treatment time will need to be shortened since the treatment room (and therapist) is generally booked after your session. After a treatment, it’s customary to vacate the room within five or ten minutes. However, you are free to spend additional time unwinding in the day spa’s waiting room.
What should I wear to the spa?
Most people come to a day spa in very casual attire-something they can easily slip off. Some treatments can be done while you’re fully clothed, but appropriate attire, for other services is always provided. There are always towels, robes and flip flops provided at your request.
Should I wear my jewelry to the spa?
If possible, leave your jewelry at home as you will not need it for your day spa visit. If however, you have brought valuables, you will need to take them off for most services, but you will never have to leave it unattended. Also, be mindful of not leaving them behind.
Can I make special requests about my preferences?
All aspects of treatment can usually be modified to your taste: the amount of light, kind (or absence) of music, room temperature, and whether or not you choose to have a conversation or enjoy the treatment in silence. When getting a massage, please let the therapist know if the pressure is too light or too much.
What if I have a Medical condition?
If you have any type of medical condition, be sure to mention it when you book an appointment. Certain treatments may not be advisable for you. Also, before your treatment begins, let your therapist or esthetician know of any medical concerns. Tell the technician if you’re wearing contact lenses before you have a facial.
Must I be nude during my visit?
It is never required that you are unclothed in front of anyone in a day spa. Guests generally change in the treatment room after the therapist has stepped out of the room. Towels and robes are provided when needed and can keep you continually covered. Therapists are well trained in the “art of draping” which means that they leave the treatment room while you get under the sheet on the massage table, and they keep you covered at all times except for the area of the body they are massaging. They also leave the treatment room before you get up from the table.
Does sunbathing affect my treatment?
Try to avoid the sun on the day of treatment and, in some cases, the day after.
Is it okay if I eat a meal prior to my treatment?
Try not to eat for at least an hour before a treatment, and avoid the consumption of alcohol on the day of a treatment. Drink plenty of water before and afterward, especially if heat therapies are part of your day spa experience.
What is the customary gratuity?
Between 15 and 20 percent for each person who gave you a service is customary, but you may, of course, leave more or less, depending on the quality of the service.
Shaving – If you must shave, do so at least two hours before your scheduled appointment, particularly if you’re a man receiving a facial or a woman receiving any kind of scheduled bodywork.
Waxing – The best length for waxing hair is ¼” If hair is longer, please trim prior to your appointment. This makes the process easier and less painful. Avoid sun exposure the day of and after. Waxing cannot be done if the skin is sunburned.
Cell phones – Because the day spa environment is supposed to be a tranquil and stress-reducing experience, it’s best to leave cell phones and pagers at home or turn them off before entering the day spa.
Children – Children are generally not allowed so that the day spa ambiance remains as relaxing as possible. Teens may be accommodated for certain services or at certain times when accompanied by an adult.
Socializing – When in the relaxation room and elsewhere in the day spa, be mindful of others. Keep conversations at a low volume.
and Spa Policies
Booking Appointments – Advanced appointment scheduling is advised. For enhanced comfort and relaxation, we suggest that you arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled treatment. This will allow time to enjoy some relaxation prior to your service.
New Clients – All intake Forms must be filled out prior to your appointment on line. . Please arrive 15 min early if you need to fill them out in our lobby. If this is not done prior to the start of your service ,your service provider may need to shorten your service time in order to stay on schedule for the next client. We may also need to reschedule and the cancellation policy will apply.
Late Arrivals – If you are late for your appointment, your treatment will be reduced in order to finish on time for the next scheduled client. The full fee for your service will be charged. We do reserve the right to reschedule your appointment if you arrive more than 10 minutes late to your appointment and you will be responsible for our cancellation fee of 50% of the service.
Cancellations– If you must cancel your appointment, kindly give as much notice as possible. However, if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance a cancellation fee of 50% of the missed service will be charged to the credit card on file. No shows may be subject to the full amount of the service missed. Deposits will be required for no shows to schedule future appointments.
Considerations – A spa is a place of tranquility, please show respect to other guests by refraining from bringing cell phones to the spa or please silence the ringer. Also, please leave children behind and speak softly so that the calm atmosphere can be enjoyed by all.
Payment Method – We accept all major credit or debit cards, Skin Deep Day Spa gift cards, and personal checks. We do not accept American Express.
Returns – We will not accept returned merchandise at this time.
Gift Cards – When you receive a gift card it does not indicate that an appointment has been made for you. Please call or go online to schedule appointments. Gift cards are non-refundable and we are not responsible for lost or stolen gift cards.
We have implemented new protocols based on state of Michigan guidelines for the safety of our staff and guests. Please note these are subject to change. This includes the following:
- Checking the status of our staff’s health by no-touch temperature check and verbal screening. We will not allow our employees to come to work if they are sick or show any signs of sickness. Please note that this may mean your appointment will need to be rescheduled.
- All Staff and guests are required to wear a face covering at all times, except that guest may temporarily remove a face covering when receiving a service that requires its removal. During services that require a guest to remove their face covering, an employee must wear a face shield or goggles in addition to the face covering.
- Treatment room tables will be fitted with a Safeguard Treatment Shield to enhance safety measures during facials, waxing and massages.
- Allowing 6ft of social distancing from other guests always other than your treatment provider.
- We are by appointment only to allow for social distancing. We will provide curbside pick up for products and gift card purchases Or you may schedule an appointment to shop our retail boutique.
- Removing body treatments, sinus and tension rescue, body brushing and couples’ massage from the menu temporarily.
- Consistent cleaning schedule of high traffic areas, bathrooms, as well as tools used during each service.
- We love you but we will not be shaking your hands or hugging.
- All staff members are certified in proper sanitation.
- We will not accept returned merchandise at this time, per the state of Michigan guidelines.
On arrival to the spa, please call the Spa Desk at 517-990-9088 and we will inform you when you will be able to enter the spa. We will not have a waiting room at this time and will be by appointment only. If you would like to pick up products or a gift card please call us to arrange a curbside pick up. You may also purchase gift cards on our website.
We also require that our guests adhere to the following:
- All individuals that enter the spa will need to bring their own clean mask for their visit, and wear it during the length of their stay, unless it is necessary to have access to a guest’s face. If you do not have one we will provide you with one for a minimal service charge.
- Each guest will be screened upon entering the spa with a no-touch temperature check and verbal screening. Guests will be asked to remove their shoes upon entry of the spa and be given disposable slippers.
- Each guest will be required to fill out our online COVID-19 consent form 24 hours prior to every spa visit. Client intake forms will also need to be filled out online prior to your service. You will only need to fill out our client intake forms once unless something has changed in your health history.
Please note: Our forms are located on the forms page of your website.
- Guests will not be able to bring anyone not receiving a treatment with them.
- Each guest will be asked to wash or sanitize hands before beginning services.
- Please place any cash gratuity’s you may wish to leave to your service provider in an envelope and avoid handing it to them directly.
- We will require a credit card on file for all services, to help keep interaction at spa desk minimal.
- If you feel unwell, please call the spa and cancel your appointment, leave a voicemail if our front desk is not availble.